Networker

Re: [Networker] Application "loses" apparently good index entries for tapes

2009-07-21 00:16:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Application "loses" apparently good index entries for tapes
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:12:51 +1000
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, bdeschanes wrote:

When I launch the GUI application for the server hosting my stacker immediately after restarting the nsr
services on the host, it shows good index information for the tapes, but moments after launching it
switches all the tapes to "<not in media index>". At first I tried re-inexing the tapes,
but it seems to act like they're really still in there. Unfortunately the backups then usually (90+% of
the time) hang and send out a message " NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to
backup pool 'Default' tape(s) on ..."

Just to be confusing, once every many tries it successfully starts backing up jobs, but still displays the
"<not in media index" message next to the volumes. The system is running "NetWorker
7.4.2.Build.431 Network Edition/34" and has been working fine for many months. This started last week. I've
reset the library, the scsi channel, and the NetWorker services MANY times in various orders and ways. I'm more
or less keeping up with backups, but the required babysitting and "jiggling" of the library is keeping
me from doing anything else... Any suggestions as to why it's doing this or how to correct it?

I'm not new to backups, but this problem has me stumped. I'll keep digging, and
if I figure it out on my own I'll update accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I have the exact same version and the exact same problem.

I just do an "nsrjb -IE" and wait for it to finish. It is an extremely annoying problem if it happens when there are jobs waiting to run.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT