Networker

[Networker] NSR Reporter

2009-07-17 16:44:34
Subject: [Networker] NSR Reporter
From: dfields <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:37:38 -0400
Theirry,

Wow.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I figured the source for this was huge.
I've written some perl scripts for my own reports, but nothing close to 200k
lines 8).

I did some more digging after I posted this by adding the individual entries in
the "by client" view for a particular time slot, and then compared that to the
same time slot on the over all active sessions view, and the totals matched.
What was throwing me was the counts, (a server with say, 5 save sets was
generating a count of 8 on the by client view).  However, your logic below
kinda explains that, but I would expect somewhat different behavior than what
I'm seeing.  Assuming all save sets start in the first 10 minute slice, I would
expect the number shown to match the number of save sets.  However, if some
stuff carries over to next 10 minute slice, I see how  your logic works (and I
agree that it has  to work that way).

For example, I have a server that has 6 save sets:  C, D, System State, System
DB, System Files, ASR.  During the first 10 minute slice, nsr reporter is
showing me 8 sessions instead of 6.  The next 10 minute slice shows 8, and the
third and fourth slices drop down to 4 each.  Does your logic also include
control sessions?  I wouldn't think that the index would be backed up during
the first 10 minutes, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think the tool is great.  I'm looking forward to the next version.
I've thought about writing scripts to pull much of the same info that you do
and display the results with MRTG, but I never seem to have the time, and your
tool already pulls so much more information than I would have the time to write
scripts for.

Thanks again,

David