Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning from AFTD to tape and grooming the AFTD

2009-07-16 08:52:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning from AFTD to tape and grooming the AFTD
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:47:18 -0400
On 7/16/09 5:00 AM, John Hope-Bailie wrote:

We would like to backup to an AFTD and also copy the savesets to
physical tape for offsite storage.

The idea would be to keep recent savesets on the AFTD as long as
possible, so that most restores are from disk.

However we also need to generate offsite tape copies immediately after
the backups to minimize RPO in the case of a total loss of the
production site.

From reading your post, it sounds like you are trying to kill two birds with one stone. I do exactly what you describe above (but with two stones). I use scripted cloning to copy the important savesets to tape and get them to a safe off-site location quickly. I then use staging (not currently completely scripted, but will be the next chance I get) to remove the oldest savesets to nearline tape as needed or when the saveset is 35 days old.

Neither cloning nor staging will do exactly what you want, but each of them fits the bill for one of your two goals.