Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?

2009-07-14 23:35:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:27:12 -0400
> From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:20:18 +0100
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?
>
> George Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I probably should have predicated my post with this answer first. OK, I
>> don't like the idea of NW doing the cleaning because I think the drives
>> have a better idea of when they need to be cleaned, so seems the over
>> cleaning could result.
>
> George, have you upgraded yet? I know you have been hanging back on
> 7.2.x.  Current versions of NetWorker are much better at organising
> cleaning based on the signals received from the drives. This is the best
> of both worlds, they get cleaned at the right time and you have
> visibility of cleaning tape usage.

Right, but sometimes I still need to trigger a tape drive cleaning manually
for some reason. In NetWorker 7.4.x, what I do is simply open up the devices
resource from the NMC GUI and click on the little cleaning required button.
This will trigger a tape drive cleaning as soon as the drive is available.