Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?

2009-07-14 16:12:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:07:04 -0400
Clark, Patti wrote:
 > -----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On Behalf Of George Sinclair
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:09 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

Hi,

Question here on using manual operations to clean a drive, e.g. inventory.

When a drive on our tape library indicates that it needs to be cleaned (red led light), I usually run sjimm (or mtx) and move the cleaner tape from a designated slot into the device; it cleans, ejects, and then I run the same command to move it back to the designated slot - all well and fine.

HOWEVER, what if a NW administrator needs to clean a drive, but they don't have permission to run sjimm or mtx to manually move a tape into a drive? Obviously, they can just open the door to the tape library and manually insert the tape into the drive, but I was wondering if they could simply inventory the slot (from NW) that the cleaning cartridge is in?

I'm thinking that they can't use 'load' or 'load without mount' because both of these options will expect there to be a label on the tape or at least expect it to be a known NW volume before it loads it, which a cleaner is not. On the other hand, they could do an inventory, but when a cleaner tape is inserted into a drive, the drive automatically ejects it when it's done cleaning, but NW will also want to tell the drive to eject the tape when it's done inventorying it, so I'm thinking NW might wait, and then try to eject it, but it won't be able to because the drive will have already ejected it, and an 'invalid argument' error might result? At that point, the operator wouldn't be able to move the tape back to the slot since it's not completely in the drive.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210

I probably should have predicated my post with this answer first. OK, I don't like the idea of NW doing the cleaning because I think the drives have a better idea of when they need to be cleaned, so seems the over cleaning could result. Might be better to just let the library do the cleaning then, BUT I've never been able to get the library (STK L80) to auto clean. I have a cleaner in one of the two designated cleaner slots, with the proper cleaning barcode. The system sees it, and from the library GUI panel, the cleaning function in the menu recognizes it; it will export it, import it, etc. BUT it never cleans a drive when it needs it. From time to time (not very often), I'll notice a red led light 'C' on the affected drive with a tape in there, and the cleaner tape is still sitting in its slot doing nothing. So, I just unmount the tape in the drive and manually load the cleaner.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -