Networker

Re: [Networker] ISO options for tape media tracking

2009-07-07 11:17:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] ISO options for tape media tracking
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:01:34 -0400
> From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:47:14 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] ISO options for tape media tracking
>
> I wrote a little "Offsite Tape Management" web page to handle things
> like this...  We have a 15 tape cap maybe you could have your ops get
> all the tapes intop the cap and then have a button on the web page
> update the mmlocate to the right location and pop the cap back open?
>
> As a procedure we insert all offsite tapes back into the SL500 just to
> make sure that the tapes get the location cleared from the bin number
> as this is automatic during the inventory.
>
> When they are ejected from SL500 they are marked as ³² (null), and the
> web page that puts the tapes into the cap makes you select a bin # as
> part of the process to set the location field as the tapes are loaded
> into the cap...
>
> So really the only place a tape should get lost is in the CAP...
>
> Remember your cap is already a barcode reader mine as well use it...

That's an interesting solution, but my managers will say its too manual,
mainly because we do not usually have enough space in our tape library to
deposit incoming tapes without removing older tapes. What we need is a bar
code reader that scans into a database where I can have a script issue the
appropriate mmlocate commands.