Networker

Re: [Networker] ISO options for tape media tracking

2009-07-06 22:53:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] ISO options for tape media tracking
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:47:14 -0500
I wrote a little "Offsite Tape Management" web page to handle things
like this...  We have a 15 tape cap maybe you could have your ops get
all the tapes intop the cap and then have a button on the web page
update the mmlocate to the right location and pop the cap back open?

As a procedure we insert all offsite tapes back into the SL500 just to
make sure that the tapes get the location cleared from the bin number
as this is automatic during the inventory.

When they are ejected from SL500 they are marked as “” (null), and the
web page that puts the tapes into the cap makes you select a bin # as
part of the process to set the location field as the tapes are loaded
into the cap...

So really the only place a tape should get lost is in the CAP...

Remember your cap is already a barcode reader mine as well use it...

Alec

On 7/6/09, Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT peevro.co DOT uk> wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>> Greetings everyone;
>>
>> What are my options for tracking LTO-3 tape media? We are sending more and
>> more LTO-3 tapes off-site. Some of our tapes site in off-site storage,
>> some
>> in a closet next to our tape library, and of course, a good deal of the
>> tapes site in our tape library.
>>
>> Keeping track of our tape cartridges is getting to be a real challenge. We
>> need a good inventory tracking system here, but so far, the only off-the
>> shelf product I found via googling seems to have gone defunct. I have set
>> up
>> a pretty good manual system, but it definitely has to be temporary because
>> will never get management to agree to let our operators handle the
>> procedure
>> on an ongoing basis.
>>
>> I have a perl script that runs on my NetWorker 7.4.4 Linux server once a
>> day
>> that identifies tapes with data on them that needs to be sent off-site,
>> then
>> it withdraws the tapes and sets the mmlocate field for each one to
>> "off-site", but receiving tapes back on-site requires me to manually
>> update
>> the location field.
>>
>> What I am hoping for is a system where I can have an operator swipe the
>> bar
>> code that our off-site company uses, plus the bar code that NetWorker
>> uses,
>> put them into a database, then have a script read the database and issue
>> the
>> appropriate mmlocate commands to keep NetWorker in sync since we can't
>> always load tapes that are returned to us into our tape library.
>
> Alphastor can do this. This is one of the things it was originally
> designed to do, and of course later they added the library management
> functionality from SmartMedia. I don't have first hand experience of
> this, so can't recommend it other than when I saw a presentation on it
> some years ago it looked pretty good. I am sure other similar products
> exist.

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at