Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules

2009-07-06 19:41:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:33:58 +1000
RE NDMP, you are so right! It's brown sticky stuff!

The only reason you'd do it is to save space. So, it is better to connect a VTL
that does de-dupe to the back of the file server.

Siobhán

> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:17:24 -0400
> From: networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM
> Subject: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>
> <snip>
>

> stan wrote:
> >
> > I can't answer your question, but I do have a subsidiary question. We are
> > thinking of getting an Avamar device here. What is the advantage of tying it
> > into NetWorker, as apposed to using it standalone and using just the Avamar
> > agent on each client? From my perspective, if we use Avamar without
> > NetWorker, we can save a lot on annual maintenance because the Avamar agents
> > are free.
> >

> Avamar, unfortunately, does not do everything well; it's a by-product of the
> host-based architecture. Since everything is loaded into RAM to be
> chunked/hashed, extremely large files - I'm talking individual files, NOT
> filesystems - can bog down your system. For example, any program that
> generates a multi-hundred gigabyte flatfile backup will almost certainly have
> a dramatic impact on system performance. Also, the NDMP backup support by
> Avamar is orders of magnitude poorer than the native Networker support
> (Avamar's NDMP backups require a special node to proxy the traffic, and its
> fairly slow).
>
> On the other hand, what Avamar does well, it does REALLY well. And having a
> single administration/notification/management point for it AND Networker AND
> Homebase simplifies things greatly. We have Networker and Avamar and are not
> yet running in a combined mode, but I look forward to the day that we can.
> Your concerns about the licensing of the modules are certainly valid, and in
> our case they don't apply, so I'll acknowledge that we may be in the minority.
>
> What irks me greatly is that while it is technically possible (and trivial)
> to run the native Avamar system and clients at the same time you run a
> combined Networker/Avamar deployment, it is NOT a supported configuration. If
> that has recently changed, someone please thwack me with a cluebat. Other
> than the capacity management issue, I can't understand why its NOT.......?
>
> HTH
> -- brerrabbit

> |This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

> this list. You can access the archives at

View photos of singles in your area Click Here
http://dating.ninemsn.com.au/search/search.aspx?exec=go&tp=q&gc=2&tr=1&lage=18&uage=55&cl=14&sl=0&dist=50&po=1&do=2&trackingid=1046138&r2s=1&_t=773166090&_r=WLM_EndText