Networker

Re: [Networker] MacOS client memory bloat/hang

2009-06-26 15:33:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] MacOS client memory bloat/hang
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:26:45 -0500
> Is anyone else using the MacOS 10.5 client with a large-ish number of files?
>
> I'm seeing the "save" process balloon to 3.5GB RAM and hang after about 30
> minutes and 2 million files.
>
> We're on 7.5.1 client and server now, but the problem also existed on 7.2 and
> 7.4.

I've heard from two list members who see similar behavior.

I have had support case 29701072 open for 42 days. I have been told twice that
the issue would be escalated to a level-2 tech who might be able to understand
that a save process exceeding 3.5 gigabytes of memory could indicate a
client-side problem, but haven't heard from one. I've been asked for the server
daemon.log again.

Making a weekly tarball is a barely acceptable workaround for now.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin