Networker

[Networker] Keeping track of tapes and unloading them

2009-06-25 16:41:20
Subject: [Networker] Keeping track of tapes and unloading them
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:32:50 -0400
Greetings everyone;

I have a requirement which was just given to me to track where my LTO-3
tapes are at any given time. To do this, I figure it makes sense to use the
location field, but I don't see any way to set that field programmatically.

I have a perl script that runs every morning and unloads tapes from our
library that are eligible to be sent off-site. What I would like to do in
that script is to set the location field for each tape so it indicates that
it is off-sited. So what's the command to set the location field in the
media database. I have looked at the man pages for nsrmm, nsrim, and nsrjb,
but I didn't find anything of relevance.

I need a script that will withdraw N number of tapes with the oldest backups
on them from our tape library. Rather then reinventing the wheel, I am
wondering if anyone on this list already has a perl script (or shell) that
does this.

This is for NetWorker 7.4.4 on Linux.