Networker

[Networker] Setting SSID browse/retention to forever ?

2009-06-19 12:06:50
Subject: [Networker] Setting SSID browse/retention to forever ?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:01:58 -0500
Reading the nsrmm man page regarding the -e and -w switches, it says that
a value of 'forever' can be used with certain volumes to prevent their
expiration.

Can this time value also be used with individual savesets (already written
to a non-archive pool) to prevent their expiration?

Running  "nsrmm -S 1234567890 -e 'forever' -w 'forever'" does indeed
*appear* to set the browse and retention times to a value of 'forever' (as
reported by mminfo), but does that really prevent that SSID from expiring?
Or is it just parroting a string of text that I fed to nsrmm?

Anyone know for sure?

If not, what's the best approach to get the longest possible browse/retent
value on an existing saveset? The time values described in the nsr_getdate
man page are a bit strange if I'm reading it correctly. That is :

"If  a year is specified as a number in
the range 70 and 99, 1900 is added.  If a  year  is  in
the  range  00 and 30, 2000 is added.  The treatment of
other years less than 100 is undefined."

How can I eg., just append 50 years to the current browse/retent dates of
an existing saveset? From that description, it looks like it's a max of
30.

Thanks.
Len Philpot