Networker

[Networker] Don't mix your skips

2009-06-10 17:21:47
Subject: [Networker] Don't mix your skips
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:14:32 -0400
Networker v7.4.3 across the board, linux server.

I have one client with 2 definitions.  ClientDef1 has a list of itemized
savesets, ClientDef2 uses the "All" saveset along with directives that
"skip" the itemized savesets.
Example of directives:
<< /orabu >>
        +skip: .?* *

These clients also use different schedules for their backups:

ClientDef1 - Quarterly schedule
Full on first Sunday of first month, weekly level 5, daily incremental,
skip Saturdays
F incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip

Level 3 on first Sunday of month, weekly level 5, daily incremental,
skip Saturdays
3 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip

Level 3 on first Sunday of month, weekly level 5, daily incremental,
skip Saturdays
3 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip
5 incr incr incr incr incr skip

ClientDef2 - Monthly schedule
Full on first Saturday of each month, weekly level 5, daily incremental
incr incr incr incr incr incr F
incr incr incr incr incr incr 5
incr incr incr incr incr incr 5
incr incr incr incr incr incr 5
incr incr incr incr incr incr 5

Now comes the gotcha - ClientDef2 has the directive skips.  When the
Full backup runs on the first Saturday, the saveset skips by directive
are entered as "Full" backup levels shown by mminfo even though it is
skipped.  The next day for months 2 and 3 of the quarter,  the level 3
backups scheduled for the first Sunday containing the itemized savesets
doesn't back anything up that did not change between Saturday and
Sunday.

So, skipped savesets receive the "level" of the backup executed and
impacts the level schedule.  My /orabu saveset was itemized for a level
3 backup this past Sunday.  First database backup runs after
ClientDef1's incremental backup Friday-Saturday completing prior to
ClientDef2's backup with the skip directive.  Second database backup
runs Saturday-Sunday.  Only the second database backup appears on tape
from the level 3 backup performed on Sunday.  I am missing the entire
backup of the first database backup.

I'm posting this as some others probably have a similar situation and do
not realize that not everything is getting to tape that they had
thought.  I did find this out the hard way.  Unless someone can show me
how my directive is faulty, I don't see why a skip gets marked as a
full.

Here's hoping that I don't also have foot-in-mouth disease, too.

Patti Clark - RHCT, GSEC
Sr. Linux/UNIX System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information