Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker upgrade 7.4.4 - 7.5.1

2009-06-09 07:08:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker upgrade 7.4.4 - 7.5.1
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:58:59 -0400
On 6/9/09 3:37 AM, JKK wrote:

Is anyone out there with experience doing an 7.5.1 upgrade? any issues? and how where the issues resolved?

I have experience trying to upgrade clients to 7.5 and 7.5.1 -- because I use firewalls, I have forced the clients to use a known four ports. Neither 7.5 nor 7.5.1 will reliably start when they are limited to just the four ports they require. EMC is (so far) unable to figure out the problem (according to what the support person I am dealing with has told me -- he can't even reproduce it -- sadly, the triage person reproduced it on Solaris and forwarded it into the support structure --- upset with EMC much? Who, me???? :-) ).

Research I have done says that with "nsrposrts -S 7937-7049", you have a 30% chance that nsrexecd will start when you run "/etc/init.d/networker start" on linux (both 32 and 64 bit versions).

It is not until you increase to "nsrports -S 7937-7085" that you get a 100% chance nsrexecd will start. lsof always reports that nsrexecd is using just four ports when it does start... clearly, EMC has screwed something up in the programming of how nsrexecd starts up.