Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker upgrade 7.4.4 - 7.5.1

2009-06-09 04:32:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker upgrade 7.4.4 - 7.5.1
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:27:09 +0300
JKK wrote:
Hi.

I'm planning an networker ugrade from 7.4.4 to 7.5.1 in our distributed environment consisting of 5 storage nodes and some 500 clients. We're using single data zone.

Acoring to documentation this is pretty easy.
it's recomended to run these commands
nsrim –X
nsrck –m
nsrck –L6

With 500 clients, this nsrck can take more than a day. This is a quote from a letter I sent to this forum on November 18th, 2008:

" If you need to run to run nsrck -L6, I suggest that you will do that in parallel. I use the following script (on Solaris) to get things to run faster:

#!/bin/sh

cd /nsr/index
CLIENTS=`du -sk * | sort -nr | awk '{print $2}'`

for client in $CLIENTS
do
echo $client
at -s -qd now<<EOB
time nsrck -L6 $client
EOB
sleep 1
done

You need to add the third line to queuedefs for the above to work. It runs 20 jobs (on a 24 threads T1000). Since this process is CPU bound there is no point in doing much more than your processors (say five for your typical quad core Intel CPU).

# cat /etc/cron.d/queuedefs
a.4j1n
b.10j2n90w
d.20j4n60w

With the above I was able to check 70Gb of index which took over 22 hours in under four hours."

upgrade the storage nodes first. After that,it's pretty much next-next-
finish.

Is anyone out there with experience doing an 7.5.1 upgrade? any issues? and how where the issues resolved?

Last time I spoke with GlassHouse, they said that this upgrade is not recommended and that I should stay at 7.4.4. I am, however, dissatisfied with 7.4.4 which I why I wanted to upgrade. If you want to upgrade because of stability, I think 7.4.4.4 might be a better option (if you can get it). I will give a call to GH and see if I can get it from them.

Johannes

-- Yaron.