Networker

Re: [Networker] Running the Linux 64-bit package with the 2.6.x kernel may result in crashes

2009-05-28 09:17:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running the Linux 64-bit package with the 2.6.x kernel may result in crashes
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 21:55:43 +1000
On 27/05/2009, at 22:52 , Clark, Patti wrote:

We had been using 64-bit networker on Red Hat ES 4 server for a couple of years. There were a number of crash issues, a patched nsrexecd, etc. When 7.3.3 came out we switched to 32-bit and have had fewer problems. There were no visible advantages to staying on the 64-bit version.

My primary lab server has been 64-bit Linux for some time, with 64-bit 7.4.[234] and more lately, 7.5.1. Being a lab machine, it gets quite a work out, but never a huge amount of daily data transfer.

For the most part I don't see many environments actually hugely needing 64-bit NetWorker installs unless their primary platform of choice is only available in 64-bit (e.g., Solaris/Sparc).

Typically when I've heard of 64-bit NetWorker issues on Linux they've been device related – I suspect if you've got, say, a backup server that only has disk backup units, with tape only on storage nodes, you'd find 64-bit NetWorker not much of an issue for the server.

I've also noticed, but never been able to pin down, that Linux is particularly ...distasteful... at error recovery on tape devices where you have the robot and a tape drive on the same SCSI chain, regardless of 32- or 64-bitness. Keeping robot heads on dedicated SCSI chains or using fibre-channel (even via fibre-channel bridges) increases the reliability of NetWorker on Linux in relation to devices by (IMHO) about 1000%.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com