Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Labeling Conventions

2009-05-22 16:55:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Labeling Conventions
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 06:48:39 +1000
On 23/05/2009, at 24:15 , Tom Birkenbach wrote:

What do you use as a tape labeling convention?

I'm adding a bunch of new tapes to my tape library system and I'm trying to think of a good labeling method that can tell me, just by looking at the label (label in the system vs. looking at the physical label and tape) what kind of tape it is (LTO1, LTO3, etc.) and when it was added to the system
(May 2009, etc.).

My tape library is configured to automatically label the tape the same as its barcode. It's been a challenge to know how old the tape really is. The system has passed through many hands over the recent years and tracking this kind of info has been lacking. It's hard for me to know if the tapes useful
time has come or is coming to an end.

Avoid trying to either separate barcode from volume label or associating "data" with the label. Both methods lead to management challenges and should be avoided.

The sort of information you're after is all tracked anyway - look at mminfo's output on:

- olabel
- labeled
- mounts
- recycled

Best to use the native tool at hand for tracking this - the media database.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com