Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Labeling Conventions

2009-05-22 10:47:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Labeling Conventions
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:41:56 -0400
On 5/22/09 10:15 AM, Tom Birkenbach wrote:
What do you use as a tape labeling convention?

My tape library is configured to automatically label the tape the same as
its barcode.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Tom,
My system is also configured to use the barcode as the tape label. The method I use is one that I saw mentioned on this mailinglist. The barcode contains an Lx at the end (L2, L3, L4) which indicates whether it is an LTO-2, LTO-3, or LTO-4 tape. I purchase the tapes with barcodes attached, and I use the first two digits to indicate the year the tapes are purchased (so I'm using 09 this year) and that gives me four digits to sequence through for the year -- I don't even use 1000 tapes a year, so allowing 10000 seems like it has some potential for growth :-)

Alternatively, you can use mminfo as follows:

mminfo -q 'location=JUKEBOX_NAME' -r 'volume,barcode,olabel,labeled,recycled'

Which will tell you for each volume that is in your tape library named "JUKEBOX_NAME" when you first labeled it, last labeled it, and how many times it has been recycled. You can use that to find those tapes that are old enough or have been cycled enough times that they need to be removed from service before they fail on you.

Hope that helps...