Networker

[Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some

2009-05-19 13:01:44
Subject: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some
From: NEO <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:54:57 -0400
Thanks once again for your help Preston. It's really priceless for me at the
moment when I evaluate this.

Preston de Guise wrote:
> Hi Neo,
> No, you do need to tell NetWorker the full path to the file you wish
> to recover in that sort of scenario.

You mean if I use the tools you further down refer to or is it possible with
the standard Networker? I have tried some various ways of adding the path in
the file which I use with "recover -a -d <destination> -I restoreThis.txt . But
it only happily restores it if I type the exact paths.

Preston de Guise wrote:
> Finding the full path is possible via using a combination of nsrinfo  and
> mminfo - mminfo to determine the saveset and nsavetime, and
> nsrinfo for listing the files and their paths. (While not wishing to
> use this list for promotion of sales, if you dislike scripting the
> company I work for does have a suite of utilities that includes a
> "search" utility for NetWorker indices - find-files. Rather than
> posting more on that topic, search my blog (link in sig) for "IDATA
> Tools" if you're interested. That being said, finding full path detail
> from nsrinfo is quite easy.)

This sounds really really interesting. I don't want to invent the wheel again
if someone already done it. =) I looked at your blog but could not find a link
to where to buy it or so? Can you hook me up with that here or through email.
Would like that cost in my evaluation report to my boss.

Preston de Guise wrote:
> Referring to your comment that you were finding the backups were non-
> browsable, you had also previously said that you had "deleted tapes
> from indexes" ... this would be the cause; media has to be kept in
> place the media database in order to be browsable.

But that was during the initial tests. The media is not deleted now on the new
tests. But it's not really the browsable thing that's a problem. The save set
are listed as browsable and the client attached to it in the list is correct.
But when I in indexes right click on the client and choose "show save sets" it
says "No save sets were found for <client>". Just like the screenshots a couple
of post above this. But I'm not sure if that's really a problem since there
will only be one client in our setup. But since it seems to be an error it
would be sweet to know what's causing it. =)

Preston de Guise wrote:
> What I'm sort of reading from your various posts is that you're sort
> of wanting to use NetWorker to achieve some sort of HSM or archive
> solution - it's not really designed for that. However, these days
> indices are much more robust than in earlier versions of NetWorker, so
> while storing indices for lots of backups will eventually use up a lot
> of space, it's not a major hassle given the price of disk these days.
>
> If you're really wanting to go down the archive or HSM path, at
> minimum I'd suggest purchasing the archive module so that you can use
> a "forever" retention time - however. However, that isn't HSM
> (hierarchical storage management); if this is data that you're going
> to be periodically recovering, you may find that HSM is a better
> solution to archive - that's where data is periodically (or manually)
> pruned in such a way that it's written out to tape or other non-
> primary storage, but a stub is left behind so that if the file is to
> be read from, the file is automatically recovered for access.

To keep a pointer/marker/ghost on the SAN that we backup from is not really
something we want. It would get very messy after a while.

But yes... There are no good real archiving applications that suits our needs.
In theory it wouldn't really be hard to make and it's odd that there are none.
Ok, sure... Front Porch Digital has something that seems sweet but that costs
40k Euro.  [Rolling Eyes] Nothing for  a midsized company like us
unfortunately. Maybe I'm naive but just to be able to open up the database and
search in it seems like something that just should be there. But I probably
don't see the whole picture. =)

So I just have to make the best out of this and find an application that I
trust.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions/ideas. It means a lot to me.  :D

Cheers!

/Henrik C