Networker

[Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some

2009-05-18 04:51:51
Subject: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some
From: NEO <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 04:44:02 -0400
Preston de Guise wrote:
> Referring to the above, and your previous post where you gave the
> syntax you were using, you can only use an expiration date of
> "forever" if you have the archive license.
>
> If you want to keep backups pseudo-indefinitely without the license,
> set an expiration date of early 2038, and a reminder to periodically
> check new releases of NetWorker to see when EMC enables support for
> expiration dates past 2038.
>
> E.g.,
>
> save -e "01/01/2038"

Aaaah! thanks for clarifying that Preston. =)

Preston de Guise wrote:
> Yes, of course. You can use one of the interactive recovery tools
> (recover, from the command line, winworkr from Windows or nwrecover
> from Unix) to browse and select individual files to recover. NetWorker
> offers IMO the best recovery view in that it presents to you each time
> the filesystem view "as it was" at the time of the backup. Changing
> the browse time allows you to see previous "views" of the filesystem
> as of each backup point. You can also if you want instruct NetWorker
> to recover entire savesets, or you can use it to recover just from a
> single saveset but name the file/path that you want recovered. It's
> really quite flexible. If you're working on Unix, check out the man
> page for "recover", otherwise look at the command reference guide for
> the same tool for a comprehensive view of what you can do.

Mmm.. .I have tried it in the GUI and that works fine. But to better explain
what I want to do. I work with TV-productions and in our file based workflows
when we move an TV-episode from one suite to another suite we use something
called EDL's. It's a text file with the names of the clips used in the edit.
There are no paths or so in that file. So my hope was to parse that file so
what's left is the filenames only. Then use something like "recover -a -I
od.ep01.txt" to search the database and retrieve the files I need. But seems
like "recover" needs the whole paths to what I want to recover?

And can't find any "search" command in the Unix Command Reference either. If
there had been one I could maybe have fed that with the text file with my files
and then store the results of the search in another file and use that as a
source of the recover. Does it sound confusing? =)