Networker

[Networker] Discoverability of backups... ?

2009-05-01 17:55:26
Subject: [Networker] Discoverability of backups... ?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 16:46:29 -0500
I have scanned in old tapes, long past both their browse and retention
policies and recovered data from them. However, I've never tried to scan
in an expired and relabeled tape. My understanding is that relabeling
simply rewrites the label header on the tape and doesn't overwrite nor
erase the entire tape (indeed, such a procedure would take three forevers
if that was the case).

To scan in a relabeled tape, you would of course have to first delete it
from the database, but would any of the data on it be discoverable by
Networker or would it scan in as a blank tape?

Thanks.