Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.2 to 7.2.2

2009-04-29 19:21:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.2 to 7.2.2
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:51:02 +0100
David Magda wrote:
On Apr 28, 2009, at 19:16, Davina Treiber wrote:

What is your reason for upgrading from 7.1.2 to 7.2.2? This just seems like an unnecessary step - upgrading from one unsupported version to another unsupported version. There is no reason why you should go from 7.1.2 to 7.4.4 or 7.5.1.

The main reason is because I'd prefer to make major changes on a platform that I'm more familiar with (Solaris). Going to 7.2 (or maybe 7.3) seems like a reasonable, low-risk change. For example, if something happens to the /dev paths to the tape devices, I'd be mostly at a loss on how to fix things under IRIX.

Once I'm there I'd be more willing to make greater leaps. I'm not all that familiar with the deep workings of NetWorker (or IRIX) at this point, so I'm just being paranoid.

Like I said, I inherited this, and I'm trying to move the ball forward with minimal risk. I'd rather take "unnecessary" steps than breaks things.

You may be the more adventurous type. I'm not.

I'm not talking about being adventurous. If you want to migrate in phases then why not move from 7.1.2 Irix to 7.1.2 Solaris, then upgrade to something newer and supported. Why involve an intermediate version, especially when it is also unsupported?

There are no major architectural changes between 7.1.2 and 7.2.2 so the upgrade from there should be the same.