Networker

[Networker] Encryption Questions

2009-04-20 17:54:38
Subject: [Networker] Encryption Questions
From: goony <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:46:10 -0400
Maybe already obvious, but in case you didn't read the fine print in the
Networker docs I'll repeat it here:

You can do Networker-based data compression, or Networker-based data
encryption, but not both.

I'd like to return to Networker compression of data (I could backup all of my
systems direct to disk again) and use encrypting tape drives, but as pointed
out earlier, the key management system(s) may be a costly proposition for a
smaller shop.

And, whatever key management approach you use it has to be 100% available and
working at your offsite disaster location(s).