Networker

[Networker] Moving the NMC to a different architecture

2009-04-14 04:25:21
Subject: [Networker] Moving the NMC to a different architecture
From: Nico De Ranter <nico AT SONYCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:17:38 +0200
Hi,

has anybody succeeded in moving/restoring the Networker Management
Console (7.5SP1) to a different server architecture?  The 7.5 admin
guide seems to suggest this is not possible but I find it hard to
believe that this would make it impossible for me to migrate to another
server platform ever.  I have a fairly simple setup with 1
server/storage node running on Solaris 10 AMD and 1 NMC running on a
legacy Solaris 10 SPARC (as there was(is?) no NMC version for Solaris 10
AMD). As I'm running out of old SPARC hardware I really need to move the
NMC to either a Solaris 10 AMD or a Redhat Linux x86 platform.

What kind of information is stored in the NMC database? Could I just
remove the current NMC server, install a brand new one and go from
there?  My NMC server crashed a few days ago but the backups are still
running fine.

Nico