Networker

Re: [Networker] Add 1 year to expired tapes in a group

2009-04-08 07:14:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Add 1 year to expired tapes in a group
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:08:39 +1000
On 08/04/2009, at 20:49 , Rachel Polanskis wrote:

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Will Parsons wrote:

Hi James,
It sounds like these are tapes that have already been written, so you'll need to start manipulating their info with the "nsrmm" command.
I found some notes from doing this a while back....

What you're aiming for is "nsrmm -s 123456 -e (date) -w (date)" command, to re-set the browse & retention times on the save sets in question.

First you'll need to use mminfo to get a list of the save-set ID's on the media you want to keep for an extra year. Once you've got that, you may need to flag the save-set as "not-recyclable" to allow the browse & retention times to be altered. Once you've done that, you should be able to go ahead and set the browse & retention dates to whatever you like.

This does come with the caveat that the notes were probably made when we were on NetWorker 7.2, and things may have changed since then!

We did exactly this to the 2.3 TB NDMP restore that we needed to do
and the volumes expired - right in the middle of the restore.
Now I am faced with having to restore the stuff with scanner.

We got up to the letter "O" in the batches but I do not know why applying: nsrmm -S 3087846177 -w "+1 year" -e "+1 year" didn't work the way we expected, even though we could see that the SSID did indeed have an extended lifespan.

I have yet another case open with EMC over this, because I suspect if I have correctly followed the command syntax, then this must be a bug. Pretty sure the Index was still browsable etc when we reset the above....

So have you also extended the browse and retention time for the indices for the client as well?

That started being necessary around the 7.3.x point - not only to extend the browse/retention times for the backup, but the associated indices. While that's normally been required for an actual index recovery (I admit I haven't been following this tread completely), it may assist in this scenario.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com