Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Loses Location

2009-04-08 01:23:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Loses Location
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:11:25 +1000
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Denis wrote:

Hello,

Have you tried a sjirdtag x.x.x to see if your tape was really in the L700,
prior to perform an inventory (nsrjb -I) ?

Have you performed a hardware reset of your L700 (nsrjb -H) ? Is your L700
performing inventory at startup ?

Hi,
We have an offsite script that takes 20 volumes at a time, stuffs them in the CAP and labels them as offsite using the identifier "TMS".

The other value we set is "L700".

I then run my jbscan script which interrogates the CAP and tells me what is
there.
I get an email note of all volumes offsite.

When Mr Offsite does his rounds he takes the volumes out of the CAP.

I then go into NMC and after doing the above, such as an Inventory (-HH or -IE) I then go and look at the Volume Location field.

In some case, tapes just sent away have the Location field empty.

In some cases, tapes that have been offsited for a long time have the Location
empty.

In some cases, tapes inside the L700 have their Location field empty.

In some cases, I will manually update the Location for these volumes on Monday and then come back on Wednesday and the Location field is empty again.

The same thing happens to a brand new 7.4.2 server at another site and it loses the location field on a regular basis. In this case, we do not have offsite. All the vols are in the L700. And they seem to just "disappear".

I will say that we have been doing this since 2002. All our scripts and processes have worked on Legato 5.x, 6.x and 7.2.1.

It is only since we moved to 7.4.2 that these bugs are occuring on a regular
basis.

We got a Legato person recommended by EMC to signoff on our 7.2.1 -> 7.4.2
upgrade.

We do everything the same way since 1999.

I think that 7.4.2 is a bugfest. That is why we have not moved to a later more buggy release even though we have a need.

I am am hoping there is someone out there who can admit to the same problem.

Thanks.....

----- "Rachel Polanskis" <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au> a écrit :

Hi,
using Legato 7.4.2 on 2 servers.

The first one was an upgrade from 7.2.1, the second is a fresh
install.

I have noticed that the "Location" field is being unset by the
system.

Then I have to manually reset it for several volumes, all from the
same
approximate dates to the correct location.

Then 2 days later the same thing happens.

I use the Location field to drive our Offsite routines.  It is no good
if this fails.

Furthermore the second system has the same problem PLUS it seems
to lose tapes completely.

For example, I noted volid 300077 had Location unset.  I reset it to
the correct
location.  It has no other locations, just the L700.

So then I want that particular tape so I delete its index.

Then I go to relabel it - IT'S GONE!

nsrjb and the rest of the system commands do not know anything about
the
volume or anything.    It doesn't exist at all.  Where it once
occupied a slot,
it has no appearance in any of the outputs at all.

This is a tape that existed last week
and appears to no longer exist anywhere in the library.   it has not
been withdrawn
or manipulated in any way.

The only thing I can think of is that "recycle from/to other pools" is
enabled
on this system.

Can anyone confirm they have seen a similar issue as above?

What commands should I run to check that the Location field is not
being corrupted etc?

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291

networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
this list. You can access the archives at