Networker

[Networker] [SPAM] Re: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?

2009-04-06 17:03:11
Subject: [Networker] [SPAM] Re: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:57:17 -0400
Checkout mminfo -X

its a summary report.  might be something you can use

>>> Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> 4/6/2009 4:52 PM >>>
> From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:32:10 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?
>
> (This may sound like, and indeed may be, a real no-brainer, but I figured
> I'd ask just in case I'm overlooking something.)
>
> We're currently on 7.2 (Sun) but will be going to 7.4/5 probably this
> year. However, we're looking to refresh our entire backup infrastruture by
> the end of next year, so I'm thinking about our current usage, capacity,
> etc. I'm responsible for basically a single server/storage node
> environment with over 100 clients - Not exactly small, but not really big,
> either.
>
> Over the years (5.x, 6.x), when I've needed to get a total footprint of,
> say, a full (week's) cycle of backups, I could either extract the totals
> from a number of savegroup completion reports (mucho work!) or use the
> totalsize or sumsize fields in mminfo, along with an appropriate date
> range constraint, etc. From either, I could then multiply out to match our
> browse/retention policies' limits for a reasonable approximation of how
> much space we're using or will be needing, of course adding margin for
> error, growth and such. There's always the difference between original
> size on (client) disk and size on backup media, but for this purpose size
> on backup media as returned by Networker is what matters.
>
> Is that process (mminfo) still about my best way to generate the numbers,
> or have I overlooked something obvious?

Yes, mminfo is probably your best tool for this task. You can script an
mminfo command to run every night to summarize your backups in tabular form
and add it onto the end of a file. Let it run for at least one month via a
cron job a few minutes after midnight. You can take that file and import it
into Excel or some other analysis tool such as SAS and generate some
numbers.