Networker

[Networker] Determine total backup footprint?

2009-04-06 16:41:07
Subject: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:32:10 -0500
(This may sound like, and indeed may be, a real no-brainer, but I figured
I'd ask just in case I'm overlooking something.)

We're currently on 7.2 (Sun) but will be going to 7.4/5 probably this
year. However, we're looking to refresh our entire backup infrastruture by
the end of next year, so I'm thinking about our current usage, capacity,
etc. I'm responsible for basically a single server/storage node
environment with over 100 clients - Not exactly small, but not really big,
either.

Over the years (5.x, 6.x), when I've needed to get a total footprint of,
say, a full (week's) cycle of backups, I could either extract the totals
from a number of savegroup completion reports (mucho work!) or use the
totalsize or sumsize fields in mminfo, along with an appropriate date
range constraint, etc. From either, I could then multiply out to match our
browse/retention policies' limits for a reasonable approximation of how
much space we're using or will be needing, of course adding margin for
error, growth and such. There's always the difference between original
size on (client) disk and size on backup media, but for this purpose size
on backup media as returned by Networker is what matters.

Is that process (mminfo) still about my best way to generate the numbers,
or have I overlooked something obvious?

Thanks.