Networker

Re: [Networker] Force Networker to trust barcode label?

2009-03-30 12:07:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Force Networker to trust barcode label?
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:02:55 -0400
On 3/30/09 11:47 AM, Len Philpot wrote:
Francis Swasey One of the new features that came in with 7.3.0 is the -II option (Yes, two capital i's) -- which forces nsrjb to do the inventory by just reading the barcode.

We're still at 7.2, but will be upgrading to 7.4 RSN... when I get time to even think about it, along with concurrent Solaris and VxVM upgrades.... right! ;-\ The 7.2 nsrjb man page says -

    If a jukebox has a  bar  code  label  reader,  and  the
    jukebox resource attribute Bar Code Reader is set, then
    volume name associated with a slot is derived from  the
    media  bar  code  label.  If  the bar code label is not
    unique or does not exist in the Sun StorEdge EBS  media
    database, the volume name is read from the media.

We've always had "Bar Code Reader" set, yet it still far more often than not physically reads tapes instead of trusting the barcode. No errors, just reads them to inventory them. Hmmm... again. :-) Just another Networker inconsistency?

I'd say that was correct behavior for 7.2 -- the -I has been there forever, but -II was new in 7.3. With -II it will either find the barcode in the mediadb and say, ok -- or it will fail, it will NOT mount the tape and read the label.