Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP restore results in no data

2009-03-24 08:53:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP restore results in no data
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:47:08 -0500
Hello,
>From what i gather, you are now trying to recover NDMP data to outside of
Cellara, this is not possible, what you can do is, restore to NAS (
Cellara) then copy over to the original server.( NDMP Data has to be
recovered to like device)
Are the restores to NAS working fine ? Please check DSA_SAVE_NODE=IP
variable.
HTH

Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/23/2009 05:58 PM
Please respond to
r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
NDMP restore results in no data

Hi,
we have a bit of a problem that has been troubling us
for some time.

We had a Celerra that was backing up CIFS shares via NDMP over ethernet.

This system was decommissioned last year and the filesystems broken up etc
and the server replaced.

Since then we do NDMP with Drive Sharing etc and it works much better.

But now the CIFS server that was decommissioned needs to have some data
restored.

We tried all sorts of things, all of them resulting in the recover giving
us no data.

The Indexes are all apparently browsable and the tape media is all
present.

But for whatever reason, we can't restore any data, the best we got so far
was an empty directory.

The old system was running Legato 7.2.1 with NDMP.   We are now on 7.4.2.

We have been running commands similar to:

nsrndmp_recover -s nsrserverhost -c our_celerra  -m our_celerra
::/vol1_staff -S 3087846177 /root_vdm_1/vol1_staff/MiscShares

>From the MSW system that has a view into the celerra.   The SSID
represents a goodly share of the
filesystems we want to restore.

We suspect that the 2007 backup of the Celerra is
possibly incomplete or somehow missing some data.
But we don't care - we just want whatever we can get
back before the end of the month.

So, my question is, given that we have all the
bits in place - eg created a clone of the old
system with a filesystem/data mover etc,
is there a way to explicitly recover all
the data off the NDMP volume set and
get it onto our recovery system?

Is there a way to override any verifies etc
that may be blocking the restore?

We just want the data back onto a disk somewhere
so it can be manually trolled through.

So far we are getting nowhere with this fast.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                                 Systems Admin, University
of Western Sydney

type