Networker

Re: [Networker] How to speed up this backup (4GB -> 8 hours) ?

2009-03-20 13:44:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to speed up this backup (4GB -> 8 hours) ?
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:39:04 -0400
I would agree with this but also add that "smal files" is a problem for
any filesystem (that I've used ) as well as the walking of the filesystem
there will be a size of file where the time taken to access the
information about the file (name, permissions etc) is the same as the time
taken to actually read the data contained in the file. This will vary
depending on CPU, disk i/o and filesystem design.
A few years ago we tested this on a fairly new wintel server and found
that this point was reached when the file was 200KBytes this for us meant
that the backup of this system when the average file size was <200KB was
not dependant on the size of the partition but the number of files. Newer
and more powerful CPU servers did not improve this situation. In this case
I would be mildly surprized if any increase in parrellism of the reads
would result in faster backups.
We didn't repeat these test on our Solaris servers but we could see from
our estate that the "small file" size was larger than 200KBytes.
Some statements that Networker is bad with small files/large numbers of
files are (in my opinion ) misdirected all filesystem based backups will
have this problem, to avoid it you need to ignore the filesystem and read
disk blocks directly.