Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP Recover Error

2009-03-20 13:20:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP Recover Error
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:13:00 -0500
Hello,
I don't believe file exclusion will work with NDMP, if you need few files,
then use directed recover method & if you use saveset recover and don't
have any thing in recover options that is valid path on cellera, it may do
what netapp does it try to dump files to the root vol ( not a good idea).
HTH

James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/20/2009 11:41 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NDMP Recover Error

On
> Behalf Of jasondre
> Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 12:17 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: [Networker] NDMP Recover Error
>
> James Pratt wrote:
> >
> > Thanks that says a lot actually - I think you need to have EMC
complete
> > the whole NDMP setup by creating a new VTL/drives and tapes for NDMP
use
> > only on the celerra, using some of your free DL3D space, (unless you
> > have a spare VTL kicking around?) and then have them create a new
> > autochanger/jukebox for it all using jbconfig in networker, then
create
> > ndmp pool etc etc. (assuming the zoning on the san is correct for it
> > all).
> >
> > See the pdf file "Configuring NDMP Backups on Celerra" on powerlink
> > (search documents/all support), and you will see the procedure for
> > creating NDMP/VTL setup on the celerra side, and the good old NW
admin
> > guide for the setup on the NW side - if you cannot get EMC to figure
it
> > out you can do it yourself if you are not afraid of the linux
command
> > line and manual device creation in networker.
> >
> > jamie
> >

> > via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER
>

> Interesting.  Why wouldn't they look into completing everything when
they were
> helping me set it up?  I've got to tell ya that I'm not real impressed
with EMC so far, I
> hope it gets better because I'm ready to go back to using Backup Exec.
>
> Right now we have one pool for our VTLs, the pool is DL3D and that is
how it was set
> up by the EMC guy who came to our site.  I've been reading a lot of
people have their
> pools set up quite differently.  They have daily, weekly, monthly,
etc. pools.  What is
> the best way to set up our pools?
>
> I'm going to keep picking your brain if you don't mind.  :)
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Apologies - Fazil is correct - not sure how I missed it but the -M means
you are doing network backups, my bad. Not sure why you would not use
the integrated san part of the celerra there for network-less backups,
but perhaps that model does not give you a spa2/spb2 FC port. (In my own
experience, EMC did not offer to do the NDMP setup since it requires
someone with experience with both nw and celerra - we had to have
consultants do it the first time for  us, then you watch/read/learn etc.
etc) ..

We set up our tape pools according to group retention times, as we don't
want space sitting unusable on too many volumes due to networker's way
of judging when a volume is recyclable, yet want things not too
cluttered up.

I can say, networker blows backup exec away once it's  set up and
working properly - it's rough at first I will agree there though  - in
our case they botched the install and set it all up with too large of
volumes on the vtl model they chose, so backups ran out of space fast
which was a nightmare looking back, but was good in hindsight, since I
got to learn the hard way and rebuilt it all myself the "proper way"
after reading the manuals..

jamie

type