Networker

Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions

2009-03-18 12:47:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:42:09 -0500
Hello,
What happens when drives are used to encrypt the data and if the data
needs to be recovered offsite, say going from IBM to HP drives ? or if the
original drive that encrypted the data was replaced ?
Just curious .
Thanks

Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/17/2009 07:09 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Encryption Questions

David Magda wrote:

> Is there any word on whether LTO-4's built-in hardware encryption can be
> utilized using Networker? Is this planned at all?

It can be used with any backup software product. However, NetWorker does
not have any facilities to manage keys. If you use suitable hardware to
control the encryption you can set the drives up to use encryption and
it will be transparent to NetWorker. I have used it and it works fine.

type