Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions

2009-03-18 12:04:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:57:20 -0500
Hello,
Dedupe could be software only proposition, however, most vendors now offer
it as hardware based  solution. I think dedupe has big play especially in
backup, replication and DR plan, with the variety of solution out there ,
it may now be possible to reduce your dependence on Tape backups with
properly designed solution  to monthed or weekend only.
Since the dedupe solution varies between the vendors, one that suites your
environment is essential, i.e post or pre dedupe, wire speed performance
with dedupe and ease of management should be considered.
Some dedupe solutions offer VTL or disk capabilities, data domain has the
"DDX Array" to do just that, you may not get away from all the licensing
cost by implementing disk based solution but the management, replication
solutions possibilities are enormous, if you have dispersed offices and
most of the data can be replicated back to main office , running backups
could can be more cost effective and monitored more closely, since the
expertise required to manage centralized backups is at hand.
HTH

Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/17/2009 04:51 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions

I'm still so new to the whole VTL/disk/dedupe world that I need to first
get educated on how and where they all do and don't overlap, interact,
etc. In my naivete, I have been associating VTL with purely hardware
emulation and deduplication as a process/tech that could run on hardware
(notwithstanding there are hardware dedupe devices, etc.). Obviously I
need to come more up to speed.

Thanks for the input.
--
   Len Philpot

   Cleco IT Network Services, PGO3 - ext 7167
(318) 484-7167