Networker

Re: [Networker] Retention changes

2009-03-12 12:06:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Retention changes
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:59:08 -0500
> Sid Martin
>
> I recently(last year) modified retention periods for a few clients to 5
> years (legal reasons). The need to keep all tapes for the last year
remains
> but I no longer need to retain new tapes for the extended period. Can I
> change the retention period for the clients back to a shorter period and

> not affect last years retention periods.
> I want to maintain the 5 years retention on about 12 months worth of
tapes
> but all new tapes changed to just 1 year.

My understanding is you'll be OK. We had a similar situation once and I
saw nothing weird when I changed the policy back. However, I never had to
restore anything from the "older" tapes, so we never put the procedure to
the ultimate test. It would be nice to have confirmation of that from a
few of the others here on the list also, just for my knowledge.