Networker

[Networker] Problem reading tape labels?

2009-03-10 13:20:00
Subject: [Networker] Problem reading tape labels?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:14:15 -0400
Hi,

We have a sporadic problem on our SDLT-600 drives (Quantum M1800 tape library) wherein NW will complain that it cannot read the label on the tape (SDLT-2 media) when it goes to unload the volume, and sometimes when it loads it. I have 'Verify label on unload' set to 'yes'.

It will then issue something like this if the error occurs following a backup when it goes to unmount:

03/10/09 10:17:09 nsrd: media info: About to start checking label
03/10/09 10:17:09 nsrd: media info: Not a valid networker label
03/10/09 10:17:09 nsrd: media info: expected volume 'vol1' got '-'.
03/10/09 10:17:10 nsrd: media info: Label check failed, marking savesets suspect and volume vol1 full.

or maybe:
03/09/09 23:32:50 nsrd: media info: expected volume 'vol1' got 'NULL'.
03/09/09 23:32:50 nsrd: media info: Label check failed, marking savesets suspect and volume vol1 full.

The odd thing, though, is that I never see this problem when I label tapes, and I can generally write to the tape fine for a while before I see this. The error seems random, however, and it might take a while to show up, so there could be a number of loads/unloads before it occurs. It might only occur on certain tapes, too, and never on others.

This has happened on a number of tapes, though. We'll be fine for a while, and then suddenly one day it hits us. NW will then mark all the save sets 'suspect' and the tape 'full'. Nasty! Anyway, I might test inventorying a group of tapes, including the culprit tape, and it will succeed for the first several and then maybe fail with the 'NULL label found' error, or it might fail on a tape that I had not previously seen the problem on. On the other hand, it might succeed in inventorying all the volumes, but then fail on a subsequent re-test. It seems to affect all the drives, but a 'scanner' command will read the label correctly. Hmm ...

There's no indication on the GUI panel that the drives need to be cleaned, and I don't want to over clean them. I called Quantum to discuss the problem with them some time ago, and they recommended upgrading the firmware.

My question, and it might seem silly, is would upgrading the firmware really resolve an issue like this? Would a newer version of the firmware somehow try harder to read a label? Has anyone seen firmware issues that caused this mischief?

Thanks for any input.

George

--
George Sinclair