Networker

[Networker] Auto labeling with nsrjb

2009-03-10 03:24:26
Subject: [Networker] Auto labeling with nsrjb
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:15:22 -0400
soupdragon wrote:
> If these tapes are labelled and in the media database then it would be
> preferable to refer to them by Volume name. I assume that, since you are
> referring to them by slot, they have valid labels but have come from another
> system or been purged from the media database.

Interesting.  Can you please elaborate how 7.4.x / NMC presents new and old
tapes on an import?  Examples from an nsrjb -Cv output would be great.

I'm kinda stuck in a mini-catch-22, where I need to pre-document and pre-script
based on 7.4.x before going live, but don't have a spare library to put the new
software on (and the existing 7.1.3 server has an AlphaStor controlled library,
so I'm nervous about connecting NMC to it for basic learning).

Docs aren't helping much, they're clear as mud in this respect.  From
discussion here on the list, I suspect that NMC and 7.4.x take over the library
in a similar manner to AlphaStor - which would be cool, if it were implemented
the way I hope it is.

Oh, and the last time I had a Networker-controlled library was 6.1.3 (which
hopefully explains why I'm lost).

> There is a bug / omission in Networker 7.4 in that the -R option to nsrjb now
> has no effect.

That's annoying (and removes a future option I was looking forward to), though
thankfully our setup does not need to script that way.

--TSK

Tim Kimball