Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux

2009-03-05 08:52:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:48:05 -0500
I've run Networker on both Unix (HPUX) and Windows for the past 10
years. Having a Unix background , I much prefer that over Windows since
I have a better understanding on how the OS is put together (to me, it's
much more logical and reliable than Windows). It just seems to run
better/smoother on Unix. And since Networker was originally developed on
Solaris and I think Solaris is still the platform where they first
develop and implement patches & bug fixes, it's still being used as a
base platform for the product. Everything else it runs on has been
ported to that OS from Solaris. I don't have the hard data to prove it,
but I feel Networker simply runs best on its native platform, or as
close to it as possible (Linux or any Unix). I think it looses something
when it's ported to run on Windows... For example, we have a
multi-processor server(4), and it never really seems to utilize all the
processors available to it... It only seems to utilize one of the 4
processors most of the time. I'd almost bet that it would perform
measurably better on any Unix platform (Solaris would be best) verses
Windows...