Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??

2009-03-04 10:40:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:37:37 -0600
Are you going to keep the name the server name the same?

If so, this is very straight forward thing to do, although you can do it
2 different ways, depending on your comfort level.

We recently did this, and with the exception of 7.4.4 bugs, are running
just fine.

First off, if you are going to upgrade to 7.4.4 (I would argue against
it at this point in time), then do it on the old hardware.

Then make sure the new hardware has the SAME EXACT VERSION of networker
on it - 7.4.4 or 7.4.1 with any hot fixes applied.

In our case, we then ran about 15 steps to copy all data from the OLD
server to the NEW server, including renaming the new server to the old
server name, including IP address.   If you do this correctly, and power
down the old server, once you reboot the new server, you will be good to
go.  You will then have 45 days to re-authorize your license enablers to
the new hostid (any time you change hardware, your hostid changes).

In order to be brief, I'm summarizing some detailed steps.   IN the end,
we completed this over 2 "daytimes" - the upgrade to 7.4.4 on day 1, let
the backups run over night, and then on day 2 move the data to the new
server.

Of course, you could also simply do a disaster recovery on to the new
hardware, but at that point, you would have to "nsrck -L7" on each one
of your indexes.  In our case, that would have been over 200 commands,
so we chose not to go this route.   If you have a small number of
clients, this is probably the easiest route to go.

Good luck.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk