Networker

Re: [Networker] reporting question - backup size vs. size on disk - possible?

2009-03-02 12:03:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] reporting question - backup size vs. size on disk - possible?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:04:00 +0000
James Pratt wrote:
I've been asked to create a few ad-hoc reports for a small number of
backups - size on tape in nw vs size on disk is one of the criteria...
looking at the mminfo query options, I don't see any way to get the
actual size of the backup on disk (ie size before backup) , only on the
tape(s) via mminfo or via gui in indexes... Is this "the way it is", or
am I overlooking something?  I have not tried/checked the "canned" NSR
reports, instead I am using NSR_Reporter to get the dates, times, sizes
on tape, file counts etc etc...
I should note we are using an EMC CDL/VTL - compression is enabled at
that level, not on NW. could this be why I'm not seeing much compression
via NW?  (for example, I have a website I backup, that is around 7gb on
disk - Backup size on tape shows about the same size, even though they
are all text/compressible files) ??

If you are compressing at the EDL this is the same as using hardware compression on a physical tape drive. There is no way to see how much virtual tape has been used for an individual save set. What you can do instead is to see how much has been written to a full virtual tape and compare this to the tape size you have defined. For example, on an EDL I am using the average amount of data written to tape is 216GB, against a tape size of 100GB, thus giving a compression ratio of 1:2.16.