Networker

[Networker] v7.4.2 to v7.4.4

2009-03-01 04:22:53
Subject: [Networker] v7.4.2 to v7.4.4
From: soupdragon <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:21:21 -0500
We recently upgraded our heavily loaded Solaris 8 servers with 800 or so
clients from 7.2.2 to 7.4.3 - then 7.4.4 in order to fix some bugs. Upgrade
fairly straightforward - in fact 7.4.3 to 7.4.4 took a matter of minutes - just
had to ensure our /usr/kernel/lus.conf modifications were reapplied.

Mixed feelings about new release - certainly prettier but seems to be much less
robust than 7.2.2 and needs constant babysitting. I believe this is to do with
the jobd functionality - we have applied all recommended tcp parameter changes,
increased client parallelism to max for the server client resource and
increased the size of the jobsd database as recommended elsewhere.

Still savegroups hang at 99% complete yet succeed on rerun, this gets worse
over time until the Networker service is restarted - we find we have to do this
once a fortnight at least. As it is restarted we see a number of daemon
messages regarding save sessions being marked as complete in jobdb - this seems
to fix the issues for a while. But it does mean we cannot leave Networker to
run unattended anymore.

Other annoyances are:

nsrjb -L -R option which is supposed to allow silent relabelling of recyclable
tapes no longer works.

certain client initiated saves do not appear in the NMC sessions window - yet
nsrwatch shows them (may be to do with lack of group in save command - need to
check)

All indexes are re-saved on a rerun even if only 1 client failed

The new group restart interval (we set to 23:59) precludes rerunning a group
that happens to exceed it's 24 hr window - this was never a problem on 7.2

nwrecover GUI no longer shows the target for symbolic links - used to, and
command line recover still does.

Good things:

Automatic inventory of tapes known to media database when deposited

Ability to sort columns in the GUI, and reporting of session data rates - very
useful

Operations on multiple volumes in the GUI almost obviates the need for csutom
scripts to label tapes etc.

|This was sent by julian.barnett AT standardchartered DOT com via Backup
Central.