Networker

Re: [Networker] v7.4.2 to v7.4.4

2009-02-28 12:59:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] v7.4.2 to v7.4.4
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:58:22 -0500
> From: Janis K <janisk AT DRI DOT EDU>
> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:43:19 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] v7.4.2 to v7.4.4
>
> After running 7.4.4 on most of our clients (Solaris 10)for a while, I took
> the plunge and upgraded our server (which is also a client, also running
> Solaris 10).  I just had one glitch -- one drive serial number mismatch
> error, which made that library very unhappy.  I had to blow away the
> library, run devfsadm -C, and then jbconfig NOT using the saved settings,
> and then scan for devices.

I am thinking of updating one Solaris 10 NetWorker server (Sun T2000) and a
Solaris 10 x86 storage node (Sun X4500) from 7.4.1 to 7.4.4. They use
dynamic drive sharing to share tape drives on a Sony PetaSite.

Both machines haven't had any Solaris 10 updates since August of last year.
I am a bit gun shy about doing OS updates because I have no experience in
that area. Should I do the OS updates before updating to 7.4.4 or is 7.4.4
likely to run fine on the machines as is?

The same question goes for my Linux NSR server which has Red Hat AS 4.5 and
NetWorker 7.4.2. Is it worth bringing the Linux on there to whatever the
latest version is prior to doing the NSR update? This NetWorker server uses
a Qualstar tape library and it does not do anything fancy like drive
sharing.