Networker

Re: [Networker] auth error after upgrade to 7.4.2

2009-02-25 15:05:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] auth error after upgrade to 7.4.2
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:03:21 +1100
On 26/02/2009, at 06:48 , Davina Treiber wrote:

Many users underestimate the power (or risk) of NetWorker. I have lost
count of the number of times I have found *@* in a NetWorker server's
administrator list, or clients with a blank servers file. Both of these
are serious security risks.

I agree - most sites have insufficient network security to compensate for a lack of security on trusted systems like NetWorker.

In the entire time I've been doing NetWorker consulting, I've only once been to a customer site where the network was close to sufficiently secure. (Yes, I've personally not had to visit defense related sites, even though others I worked with did – I'm sure their experiences were better.) In that site, within 5 minutes of plugging my laptop into the network, the network team shutdown the port that I was connected to on the switch because it was an unknown machine.

On so many other sites though, particularly as a consultant usually with a test copy of NetWorker running on my laptop to check things out or support customer issues, it would have been trivial – and I mean completely and utterly trivial – to cause either (a) significant issues or (b) retrieve significantly confidential information, simply by acting as a backup server (making use of blank nsr/res), or by talking to the backup server (by making use of *@*). Too often sites were pseudo-aware of the security implications, but wanted the "convenience".

I've reached the point where I feel that it's a design flaw to allow the nsr/servers file to be unpopulated. Without at least one nominated server name in there, I think that from a security perspective the NetWorker client should be designed to refuse to send data. Yes, warnings are well documented, etc., but sometimes I think you have to take proactive measures to ensure people understand how important it is to secure a centralised backup environment.

A nefarious individual connecting to an insecure NetWorker datazone could retrieve practically any data they desired from any client, or cause complete havoc (e.g., push out corrupt passwd/shadow files to every Unix machine, or dodgy core DLLs to every Windows machine, etc.)

Is convenience really worth that level of insecurity?

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com

Information is like a river – you can drink from it, you can swim in it, or you can drown in it. Which do you choose?