Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?

2009-02-20 07:27:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?
From: "McKnight, Scott (USPC.PRG.Atlanta)" <Scott_McKnight AT PRINCETONRG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:19:59 -0500
I will tell you from 2 1/2 years living with the SL500, it is a complete
nightmare. I've had to replace the robotics 8 times in 2 years.  On Linux
Redhat 4.0, the drive order changes every time you replace a drive or the
robotics, reboot the library (which is often because the robotics are
constantly losing their mind), or any time you have to reboot the server.
Honestly, after my experience, I wouldn't take an SL500 if they offered to pay
me to take it. It is a full time job managing that thing.

Also, it's not a binary issue. The thing is slower than a snail on its best
days, because the entire robotics system is gravity driven/pulley for vertical
travel, and cable/pulley for forward/back/left/right and rotation of the
grabber.

R. Scott McKnight