Networker

Re: [Networker] Probe Job Unrecoverable failure

2009-02-17 03:36:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Probe Job Unrecoverable failure
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:31:29 +0000
Michael Nored wrote:
> A blank server's file allows any NetWorker server that can access your
> client to back it up. Having one or more NetWorker server name in the
> clients servers file restricts the backup to only those server listed in the
> file.

Completely true, but also this file controls what server can run a
directed recovery to the client. Thus, leaving it blank is quite a
severe security risk. If you leave it blank there is nothing to stop
someone setting up a NetWorker server on your network and pushing files
to the client. I don't need to spell out how much damage could be done
in this situation.

Configure it correctly and there is no risk.