Networker

[Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations

2009-02-03 20:42:07
Subject: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations
From: halomerchant <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:38:45 -0500
I appreciate some response on these issues, its nice to know someone out there
is listening even if its just 1 EMC voice. It can go along way with the product
management. Thanks to Curtis who represents this board and is a good mentor in
the backup world. I was at one of your de-dupe seminars this year at the Hyatt
in Cincinnati. We ended up going with an EMC VTL although I liked the Quantum
code a little more, but hey EMC integrates well with our HP stuff.

On to the complaint about the ghost session in the NMC? Whats up with this?
What causes this to happen, I can see about 90% of my sessions but there are a
few that just don't show up and support has me trying dozens of different fixes
and code changes to debug this. It gets frustrating when your support case you
work on 3 hrs a day doesn't ever get resolved. 7.4.3 and up clients seem to
have the biggest problem with this. Or why did they take the write / sec
progress out of the session tab?

Would really like to see Bare Metal Recovery in Networker if this product is
expected to make it in the coporate industry. Netbackup is wonderful with this
feature and its included in the base client.

Why the C:\Windows\Winsxs directory is missed in 7.4 and up clients? Support /
Development sent me a fix for 7.4.2 32-bit but cannot fix 64bit? Very
frustrating. I recover my c, d, sys files, sys vol, sys state and when I boot
the server it doesnt have any application info from the winsxs directory. We
failed the last 2 DR tests because our Windows SQL 64bit boxes could not come
up correctly.

Clones - please find a solid way of fixing cloning to be more user friendly.
Maybe have a test archive that offers custom scripts to use with networker and
success stories of customers who are operating efficiently with custom nsr
scripts.

Backup failures - It would be nice if a backup knew where it failed at due to a
media or hardware error and just restarted at that point and resynched the save
set instead of having to restart a 30 million file system backup again and
again.

Volume backup similar to flashbackup that Netbackup has. Gives the ability to
backup by the raw volume and restore individual files. This decreases my
30million file backup from 3days to 13 hours. I have tested this and it works.

Lastly, VMware integration. If EMC comes up with a solid way to backup Vmware
vmdk's and file level backups bypassing the VCB they will own the market,
enough said. I have seen Netbackups version of this and its solid but
expensive, EMC could easily own this feature and put Netbackup ahead of TSM /
Netbackup once again.

Spend more money on R & D. There is a good community of Networker customers out
here but EMC is lagging and the shape of the economy is making customers look
at other vendors.

I've been to EMC World the last 2 years but missed the Networker focus groups,
didn't see it on my itinerary. Maybe I should spend less time partying with my
Sales guys and get up earlier.

Lastly, please keep EMC World in Vegas every year!!