Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations

2009-02-01 09:50:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:47:21 +0200
halomerchant wrote:
without any doubt, WAIT. Just because EMC is offering new features doesn't
necessarily mean they work the way they're described. I've found that ever
since EMC purchased Legato they've suffered in code holes, bugs, and alot of
fixes and vulnerabilities. IMO, I still think 7.1.1, the last release by the
company Legato prior to the EMC buyout is the most stable server/client
compatibility. EMC dropped the ball on the entire programmatic abilities Legato
built as a foundation. They obviously concentrate on sellling storage,
therefore, lack the talent in designing solid new releases. I like networker
but I've also spent alot of time on the phone with support working through bugs
that frankly should just work. I have also been disappointed in the small
things like client incompatibility versions. I've always been able to bring
servers back using 7.1.1 clients but had severe issues in full restores with
7.2,7.3,and 7.4. EMC needs to focus on its development of this product if the
y!
  want companies to remain loyal to them. I'm looking at making the switch to
Netbackup, frankly because they focus on the software industry and have solid
releases. They've been doing the whole VI / ESX file level and vmdk backups for
8 months now and EMC is just now releasing this ability? Sounds like a
marketing clusterf*** as EMC owns VMware but is just now releasing deep
integration with networker. Also, Netbackup has the ability to do a 1 click BMR
on any OS and any physical hardware to virtual machine restore. EMC is holding
out and making customers purchase HomeBase because they want more money$$.
Lastly, EMC sells Avamar separately from networker but could easily integrate
de-duplication into Networker at a premium price but chooses to package Avamar
with Dell hardware in order to make more money in hardware/storage sales. Sad
but true, I've had this discussion with my EMC reps and they promise there will
be integration in the future just not anytime soon.  EMC wou
l!
 d not give me a POC of Avamar for a remote location unless it was cond

itional to purchase which is total BS. Symantec came in helped me install Puredisk (the
competitive product) and let me run the software on hardware of my choice and gave me a 6
month trial. This software is agnostic to hardware and is coupled tightly with Netbackup.
The next release of the Netbackup client will have built-in de-duplication which is a
tremendous value. Yes Netbackup is expensive but hell if it saves me time and not making
daily calls to support working out bugs then yes its worth the money. Sorry for the rant,
I've just encountered way too many problems with Networker in my experience and find
working out these "bugs" to be a huge waste of time. If you can't release a
product to the public without fulling running these QA tests then you shouldn't be
releasing it at all. I appreciate feedback / questions on this.

Yes, I also think they are having issues with both stability and delivery of new features. I am not even sure that I want to start a detailed complaint about it without knowing that someone is going to actually take these complaints and do something with them.

|This was sent by haloofmerchants AT yahoo DOT com via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.