Networker

[Networker] 7yr backups and a deleted client - question

2009-01-30 15:08:19
Subject: [Networker] 7yr backups and a deleted client - question
From: "Reed, Ted G [IT]" <Ted.Reed AT SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:02:59 -0600
I absorbed/inherited a legato master decomm and bootstrap from regional site,
which I have recovered via mmrecov to a DR site.

A set of clients that were originally located at regional site were physically
moved to a central site, summer of 2007 (and got new master/backups/etc).
While at the regional site, they were configured with multiple
saveset/retention policies, including a 7yr daily backup of a specific
filesystem (everything else was 3 month or 6 month).

However, when I parse the mediaDB from that mmrecov'd environment, I find no
references to any of the clients or their 7yr data.  It may be that the client
config was deleted via GUI, which I thought caused related SaveSets to be
marked as recyclable.  I will say that in my own environments I have a policy
of not deleting any long-term retention client when it physically
decomms.......I seem to recall that back in the day (multiple years ago) I came
to this decision to NOT delete archive/long-term retention clients BECAUSE it
recycled live, to-keep images.

Can anyone confirm/deny this recycle behaviour on a deleted client config?
Thanks.
--Ted

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended
for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies
of the message.