Networker

Re: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing

2009-01-30 10:11:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:11:10 -0500
Why would you have a big cluster not serving many VM's? In my environment we
have several 3 way ESX clusters hosting hundreds of VM's running, Oracle, SQL,
Linux, etc. That said you DON'T have to use Virtual licensing, you can still
use regular CAL's. The way it works is Networker will look for a Virtual CAL if
you have configured the client as being Virtual. If there isn't a Virtual CAL
registered it will use a standard CAL. I don't have the Virtual CAL licensed
but I am using VCB and Networker just uses a standard CAL.

EMC is improving licensing over the way it used to be with Legato.

Change even when it's for good does not come without some pain.