Networker

Re: [Networker] volretent in 7.4.x

2009-01-30 09:51:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] volretent in 7.4.x
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:47:55 -0600
> dmitri
>
> As per EMC:
> "...the NetWorker media database reporting via mminfo command can
> only report the record as a ssid/clone-id pair, not just for the ssid.
> This is why your volretent value is specified on the source volume still
> as the longest date."
>
> That is volretent can only report the longest of SSID/CLONEID combo,
> and cloneid happens to be the longest.  However NW expires tapes based
> on SSID provided retention period.  It looks like rather bug or broken
> logic for "mminfo" reporting, because in the case when clone retention
> is longer then source volume, "volretent" value becomes incorrect and
> in fact does not report VOLume RETENTion of this queried volume.

Yep, it's a bug. Even with browse/retention policies equal, I've seen,
eg.:

* It's currently April 12

* Most 'distant' saveset expiration (on the volume) into the future is May
24

* mminfo reports a volretent of May 5th for the volume...

...go figure. :-)  I reported this long ago to Sun, since we're using
their OEM'ed version of Networker, but who knows if it got passed along to
EMC/Legato.