Networker

Re: [Networker] libXmu.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.4.3

2009-01-22 17:40:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] libXmu.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.4.3
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:34:44 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] libXmu.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.4.3,...:

I am installing Networker 7.4 (Sp3) on CentOS5 server. After unpacking
the tar file (nw74sp3_linux_x86.tar.gz) and trying to install the client
I get this error.  # rpm -i lgtoclnt-7.4.3-1.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
       libXmu.so.6 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.4.3-1.i686

any idea's why this rpm doesn't install?

Because you don't have one of the dependencies it needs?  ;-)

With RHEL5-based systems (including CentOS 5.x), you're much better off
using

        yum localinstall rpmfilename1 rpmfilename2 etc.

rather than using RPM directly.  So

        yum localinstall lgtoclnt-7.4.3-1.i686

That will probably pull in openmotif if it's not already installed,
as well as other dependencies, including libXmu.  You'll be prompted
whether it's OK to proceed with installing the package and its
dependencies.

You can find out what package provides the dependency it's complaining
about with

        yum resolvedep libXmu.so.6

If your question was instead "why does lgtoclnt now require a bunch of
X windows shared libraries", then the only answer I can give is "because
that's how EMC is packaging things, unfortunately".  If you do

        for f in `rpm -q -l lgtoclnt`
        do
                echo "$f"
                echo "=========="
                ldd "$f" 2>/dev/null
                echo
                echo
                echo
        done

You'll see that because the lgtoclnt now includes a wizard and that
wizard depends on (and includes) libqt-mt.so.3, we're getting a large
number of dependencies on X components.

Note to EMC: how about splitting the wizard off into a separate package,
so that people that don't want it can skip it, and its dependencies?

Tim
edu